Paint someone special. See immediate results as you use Jan's beginner-friendly four-step method from photo to finish.
Jan Kunz clearly demonstrates and explains how to paint a portrait in watercolor. You will see the entire painting process from start to finish, including shortcuts and tips for achieving a likeness.
Limited drawing skills won't hold you back in Jan's workshop. You'll learn to take great reference photos then trace and transfer the crucial shapes to your paper.
Jan Kunz shows you every tip and shortcut she has to help you get a portrait you can be proud of. Jan starts with an information-rich photograph, and demonstrates all the steps you'll need for success.
This workshop will save any painter years of trial and error with a difficult subject.
Add a personal touch to your portfolio in Painting Watercolor Portraits: A Simple Approach from Photo to Finish with Jan Kunz.
In this film you will learn about:
- Taking resource photos that contain the necessary, subtle details and dramatic value shifts required for success
- Spotting & sculpting the facial planes to help ensure a likeness
- Shortcuts such as photo copies to access the value patterns
- Getting your value shifts right using Jan's 40% rule
- Choosing color mixtures for skin
- Tricks and tools to get shine in hair
- How to paint eyes that "sparkle"
- Painting a mouth and teeth that look right
- Where to put the final crevice darks to bring your painting to life
- Integrating the whole painting with background colors. Jan's instruction is clear and logical. You will understand the why as well as how to do each step.
BONUS CLIP: Accurate Shadows in Watercolor
About Jan Kunz
Considered one the Grand Dames of the Watercolor world, Jan Kunz is best known for her stunning portraits and exquisite florals. Since 1980 Jan has taught watercolor workshops nationwide and has authored six books and four videos on the subject.
Kunz's paintings may be seen at Signatures Gallery and in private collections, as well as in art-related publications including Southwest Art, The Artist's Magazine, Australian Artist's Magazine, and table top editions of Splash, The Best of Floral Painting, and The Artist's Touch.
Jan is an amazing artist, especially in portrait painting. After spending her early years working as a commercial artist in California, she moved with her family to Oregon in 1980 and began painting full time with watercolors. She spent years developing her unique style and started teaching workshops all over the United States.Jan is a member of the Western Academy of Women Artists, and has published many books on watercolor painting and especially, painting from photographs and painting portraits.
Click here for more reference photo information